The TWE Project is under the jurisdiction of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. FERC is an independent agency that regulates the interstate transmission of electricity and regulates other energy infrastructure.
Information related to TransWest’s FERC filings for the TWE Project will be provided on this page as it becomes available.
- Dec. 11, 2020: TransWest’s “Application for authority to sell transmission service rights at negotiated rates, Request for approval of capacity allocation process, and request for waivers” in Docket No. ER21-645-000.
- Dec. 21, 2020: Federal Register Notice of Filing
- Feb. 5, 2021: TransWest’s “Amendment to application”
- Feb. 8, 2021: FERC Notice of Filing
- Feb. 26, 2021: FERC’s “Order granting application” in Docket No. ER21-645-000
TWE Project information
- The TWE Project is a new high-voltage interregional transmission system designed primarily to deliver renewable wind energy from Wyoming to the Desert Southwest region (California, Nevada, and Arizona). It will include three interconnected segments extending a total of 732 miles between Wyoming and Nevada.
- The TWE Project will consist of three linked segments that include: (1) a 405-mile, 3,000 MW, 500 kV high-voltage direct current (HVDC) system between Wyoming and Utah; (2) a 278-mile, 1,500 MW, 500 kV high-voltage alternating current (HVAC) transmission line between Utah and Nevada; and (3) a 49-mile, 1,680 MW, 500 kV HVAC transmission line in Nevada.
- Pending interconnection requests
- Wyoming: The TWE Project will interconnect to PacifiCorp’s Wyoming 230 kV and 500 kV transmission systems.
- Utah: The TWE Project will interconnect to the Intermountain Power Agency’s Intermountain Power Project at its 345 kV Switchyard.
- Nevada: TransWest has pending interconnection requests (500 kV Points of Delivery) including the Crystal (NV Energy), Harry Allen (LS Power/CAISO) and Eldorado (SCE/CAISO) substations.
TransWest’s open solicitation process
- TransWest’s initial capacity allocation process was approved by FERC on Feb. 26, 2021. TransWest has retained an Independent Solicitation Manager to run the open solicitation process, including managing a TWE Project Open Solicitation website. The link to that website will be added to this page when it is available.
- When the Notice of Open Solicitation is available, it will be broadly publicized, and a link to it will be added to this page when it is available.
Join TransWest's email list to receive periodic updates and meeting notifications.
Follow us on Twitter.
In the news
"Across America, farmers and ranchers and forest landowners are seeing the beginning chapter of what will be a long-term challenge posed by a changing climate. This problem is not going to go away on its own. That’s why America must take steps now to adapt."
- USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack, June 2013